Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week ending 25th September - IRRI

On Tuesday a small flock of Black-winged Stilts were on the main farm, and a juvenile Slaty-breasted Rail showed itself briefly there also. On Saturday a further two (adult) Slaty-breasted Rails were present in the same area. Maybe they've bred? Elsewhere, the Stilts were still about on Saturday, but at least three birds had badly damaged legs, evidence of some kind of trapping.

New arrivals this week included a small flock of Whiskered Terns on the upland farm, with two birds present on the lowland farm.

On Sunday I had my first twitch in the Philippines. Up to la Mesa Eco Park in Quezon City for an Ashy Ground Thrush that had been showing well. I got very brief, but conclusive views before it disappeared into the undergrowth. I think I'll try for my local ones next week!







Female Cinnamon Bittern 





Buff-banded Rail 





Black-winged Stilt 





Yellow Wagtail









Beautiful male Cinnamon Bittern. I just can't get enough of these!







One of three Black-winged Stilts sporting broken lags on Saturday morning. People living near the farms often hunt for birds using catapults and firearms (.22 rifles mostly). I haven't seen any traps there, but it looks like there must be some...





Whiskered Tern





Whiskered Tern with some remnants of breeding plumage





Slaty-breasted Rail. One of two birds seen on Saturday, with a different (juvenile) bird present on Tuesday








White-browed Crake


















Juvenile White-breasted Waterhen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, I hope it's ok with you that I'm putting a link to your blog in the eBON site. I'm also putting the photo of you from your site.

    ReplyDelete