Saturday, June 2, 2012

Butterflies and Lizards - ISH - 3 June

Family duties kept me out of the forest for the first couple of days of the long holidays, but I managed to persuade my 4 year-old to come for a walk along a small stream adjacent to the housing compound at IRRI. Birdwise it was fairly thin apart from a surprise glimpse of Indigo-banded Kingfisher on the stream, my first for months. White-throated Kingfisher, Glossy Swiftlet, Island Swiftlet, Asian Palm Swift and Striated Swallow were the only other birds.

It was a great day for butterflies though, and I managed to take photos of a couple of lizards too, so all in all pretty productive.

Green Dragontail, Lamproptera meges
Cruiser, Vindula erota
Great Eggfly, Hypolimnas bolina. Thanks to Lydia Robledo for the ID.

Common Bluebottle, Graphium sarpedon...

.. very fast, this is a hard butterfly to photograph in flight!

I believe this is a Tree Yellow, Gandaca harina.

 Common Sailor, Neptis hylas.
 Unidentified

Skink sp.


Flying Lizard, Draco sp.





5 comments:

  1. I would love to get to know all these butterflies, what's your best source of information for identifying them?

    You could post the mystery ones on https://www.facebook.com/groups/paruparozzi/
    for identification. I plan to search through all my old photos and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use thaibugs.com to get a general idea, and then try and compare that with what information I can find on wikipedia and elsewhere. I'd really appreciate a good source of info though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics as ever! I love the dragontail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    Lydia Robledo identified the first unidentified one (3rd down) as Hypolimnas bolina
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    You can compare your photos with the ones from butterflycircle.com/checklist.

    Very nice photos!

    James

    ReplyDelete